The social issue drama Pink — starring Amitabh Bachchan and Taapsee Pannu — is the only new Hindi film opening in the Chicago area on September 16, 2016.
Pink opens on Friday at MovieMax Cinemas in Niles, AMC South Barrington 30 in South Barrington and Regal Cantera 17 in Warrenville. It has a listed runtime of 2 hrs. 16 min.
Baar Baar Dekho carries over for a second week at all three of the above theaters, plus the AMC River East 21 in Chicago, Regal Round Lake Beach 18 in Round Lake Beach, Century Stratford Square in Bloomingdale, and AMC Loews Woodridge 18 in Woodridge.
The South Barrington 30 also holds over Freaky Ali and Rustom, while MovieMax gives another week to Naam Hai Akira.
Other Indian movies playing in the Chicago area:
- Jyo Achyutananda (Telugu w/no subtitles) at MovieMax, Stratford Square, Muvico Rosemont 18 in Rosemont, and Cinemark at Seven Bridges in Woodridge
- Nirmala Convent (Telugu) at MovieMax, Rosemont 18, and Stratford Square
- Janatha Garage (Telugu w/English subtitles) at MovieMax, Stratford Square, and Seven Bridges
- Iru Mugan (Tamil w/no subtitles) at MovieMax and Seven Bridges
- Oozham (Malayalam), Charuseela (Telugu), Siddhartha (Telugu), Actor In Law (Urdu), Mungaru Male 2 (Kannada), and Janaan (Urdu w/English subtitles) at MovieMax
With the release of Mausam pushed back to next week, there are no new Hindi movies opening in the Chicago area this weekend. However, there are still a few Bollywood hits lingering in theaters.
Mere Brother Ki Dulhan debuted last weekend with a respectable haul of $399,429 in U.S. theaters. It gets a second week at the Big Cinemas Golf Glen 5 in Niles, AMC South Barrington 30 in South Barrington and Regal Cantera 17 in Warrenville.
All three theaters are carrying over Bodyguard for a third week, and Bol gets a third week at the South Barrington 30 as well.
Other Indian films showing at the Golf Glen 5 this weekend include Doctor Love (Malayalam), Mankatha (Tamil) and Vanthaan Vendraan (Tamil).