The Diwali releases are here to save what has been a lackluster October at the North American box office. Director Karan Johar’s romance, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (“This Heart is Complicated“) — starring Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, and Fawad Khan — gets the wider release of the two new Bollywood films opening in the Chicago area on October 28, 2016.
Ae Dil Hai Mushkil — which has a listed runtime of 2 hrs. 38 min. — opens on Friday in eleven local theaters (two more theaters than Fan or Sultan):
- Chicago Showplace Icon in Chicago
- AMC River East 21 in Chicago
- Century 12 Evanston in Evanston
- Regal Round Lake Beach Stadium 18 in Round Lake Beach
- MovieMax Cinemas in Niles
- Muvico Rosemont 18 in Rosemont
- AMC South Barrington 30 in South Barrington
- Marcus Addison Cinema in Addison
- Century Stratford Square in Bloomingdale
- Regal Cantera Stadium 17 in Warrenville
- AMC Loews Woodridge 18 in Woodridge
The weekend’s other new release is the action adventure Shivaay, starring and directed by Ajay Devgn.
Shivaay opens on Friday at the Chicago Showplace Icon, River East 21, MovieMax, South Barrington 30, and Cantera 17. It has a listed runtime of 2 hrs. 49 min.
The only older Hindi films carrying over are 31st October at MovieMax and M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story at the South Barrington 30.
Other Indian movies showing in the Chicago area this weekend:
- Kaashmora (Tamil and Telugu, both w/English subtitles) at MovieMax, Rosemont 18, Stratford Square, Cinemark at Seven Bridges in Woodridge, and Marcus Addison (Telugu only)
- Ism (Telugu w/English subtitles) at Seven Bridges
- Kodi (Tamil), Pulimurugan (Malayalam), and Oppam (Malayalam) at MovieMax