Fitoor debuted to good-not-great numbers in the United States and Canada. During the weekend of February 12-14, 2016, the romance earned $339,319 from 163 theaters, a per-screen average of $2,082. Two factors make Fitoor‘s debut underwhelming. First, the movie opened in the most theaters of any Hindi film released in North America so far this year, but it earned substantially less in its opening weekend than either Airlift ($815,933 from 98 theaters) or Wazir ($575,908 from 127 theaters) did in their opening weekends.
Second, Monday’s Presidents’ Day holiday should have boosted Sunday returns significantly, since many people had the following day off of work. Even with the holiday’s help, Fitoor still finished fourth for the year in 3-day opening weekend per-screen average behind Airlift ($8,326), Wazir ($4,535), and Ghayal Once Again ($2,167), according to Bollywood Hungama. Box Office Mojo lists Fitoor‘s 4-day weekend total as $392,670 from 147 theaters ($2,671 average).
Other Hindi movies showing in North American theaters:
- Airlift: Week 4; $71,668 from 35 theaters; $2,048 average; $1,804,937 total
- Ghayal Once Again: Week 2; $38,856 from 34 theaters; $1,143 average; $270,418 total
- Bajirao Mastani: Week 9; $1,987 from two theaters; $994 average; $6,561,698 total
- Sanam Teri Kasam: Week 2; $1,697 from six theaters; $283 average; $35,078 total
- Saala Khadoos: Week 3; $575 from two theaters; $288 average; $89,781 total