Judwaa 2 led among the Hindi films showing in North America during the weekend of September 29-October 1, 2017. According to Rentrak figures supplied to Bollywood Hungama, Judwaa 2 opened in 213 theaters, earning $630,015 ($2,958 average). Box Office Mojo reports the movie as opening 192 theaters, improving Judwaa 2‘s per-theater average to $3,281.
Though Judwaa 2 posted the ninth best opening weekend gross of 2017, it opened in the sixth highest number of theaters and only had the thirteenth best opening weekend average for the year. Judwaa 2 also earned $200,000 less than star Varun Dhawan’s Badrinath Ki Dulhania did earlier this year, despite the fact that BKD opened in 20% fewer theaters (156, according to Box Office Mojo).
Another interesting aspect of Judwaa 2‘s performance over the weekend is its disproportionate popularity in Canada versus the United States. A full 20% of the film’s gross earnings ($127,042) came from Canada, which accounted for just 11% of the total number of theaters. But this isn’t the only recent release faring much better north of the border than south. Bhoomi earned a total of $5,597 from 14 theaters ($400 average) in its second weekend of release — $4,776 from Canada’s seven theaters and $821 from the US’s seven theaters. The total contributions from each country to date are roughly equal — $36,463 from the US and $33,906 from Canada — despite the fact that the movie opened in nearly three times as many theaters in the US (32) than Canada (11).
Like Bhoomi, all of the other Hindi titles still showing in North America posted weekend earnings of less than $10,000. Here’s how they fared:
- Simran: Week 3; $7,431 from ten theaters; $743 average; $401,626 total
- Bareilly Ki Barfi: Week 7; $5,279 from four theaters; $1,320 average; $564,291 total
- Shubh Mangal Saavdhan: Week 5; $4,610 from six theaters; $768 average; $629,427 total
- Lipstick Under My Burkha: Week 4; $1,526 from one theater; $46,948 total
- Haseena Parkar: Week 2; $254 from three theaters; $85 average; $2,305 total
- Toilet — Ek Prem Katha: Week 8; $220 from two theaters; $110 average; $1,907,300 total
- Lucknow Central: Week 3; $148 from two theaters; $74 average; $144,874 total