With a new year underway, let’s take one last look at the biggest Hindi cinema duds of last year. Here are my picks for the worst Bollywood movies of 2016. (Click on the title of each movie to read my original review.)
I’m a little loath to include Baaghi on this list because the film is so unintentionally funny, but it’s also really, really bad, so I guess I have to.
Madaari tries to paint a guy who kidnaps and threatens to kill a little kid as a hero, thus earning it a spot on the list.
Ki and Ka‘s comedic approach to gender norms falls flat when its male character becomes a national role model just by doing chores. Still, Ki and Ka is positively progressive compared to Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3, a movie built around the stereotype that white women are sluts.
The worst film of the year is written and directed by the same man who wrote the dialogue for Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3: Milap Zaveri. Mastizaade is hatred masquerading as comedy, a mean-spirited attack on everyone who isn’t a straight, Indian man. Zaveri’s targets include women, addicts, and non-Indians, but he’s particularly fond of picking on people with disabilities. His characters literally point and laugh at a man in a wheelchair. This is about as loathsome as a film can be. Mastizaade‘s title as my Worst Bollywood Movie of 2016 is well deserved.
Kathy’s Ten Worst Bollywood Movies of 2016
- Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3 — Buy at Amazon
- Naam Hai Akira — Buy at Amazon
- Ki and Ka — Buy at Amazon
- Ghayal Once Again — Buy at Amazon
- Madaari — Buy at Amazon
- Banjo — Buy at Amazon
- Sanam Re — Buy at Amazon
- Baaghi — Buy at Amazon
Previous Worst Movies Lists
- Worst Bollywood Movies of 2015
- Worst Bollywood Movies of 2014
- Worst Bollywood Movies of 2013
- Worst Bollywood Movies of 2012
- Worst Bollywood Movies of 2011
- Worst Bollywood Movies of 2010
- Worst Bollywood Movies of 2009
- Worst Bollywood Movies of 2008